Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Creepy Crawlies

But not Boris the Spider.

I like to take pictures.  Three of my favorite things are graffiti, bizarre signage (so many opportunities around here...) and some of the interesting critters with which I share my habitat.  I absolutely have to post some of the amazing examples of that middle category in the near future, but I've also acquired some pretty good examples of the third lately.  Which obviously I feel a need to share.

 The elusive rainbow colored lizard.  I have been trying to get a photograph of one of these guys since Peace Corps.  I see them around some times, but infrequently enough that its always a little bit exciting.  They're pretty, and fast...and may or may not have some sort of association with lightning.  I'm still figuring that one out.
 This dog's name is Sinkwa.  Which means bread.  Sinkwa is very ugly and very cute at the same time.  She has some sort of neurological disorder and spends most of her time walking around in circles.  Obviously she belongs to a Swaziland PCV.
 I think this is a very small swarm of very bright green locusts.  But I have no idea what a regular swarm of locusts looks like, or really even what a single locust looks like, so I could definitely be wrong about that.
 A tiny little bright yellow slug.  S/he lives on my windowpane from time to time.
A centipede?  Millipede?  What the hell is this thing?  Whatever it is, there are a few too many of them in my house and they are a little bit too big for me to be comfortable with.  I mean....squishing one would have way too much...byproduct.  This one lives on my curtains.  Obviously my solution to this was to buy new curtains.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the curtain : it's a millipede, and it's very friendly you won't have any problem with this little guy !
I breed some species at home, they are quite cute :)

VVV