Monday, July 24, 2006

Day 2 - something random

So today was my first full day of pre-service staging. We sat in meetings for 4 hours, and it turns out that even when orientations are with lovely people and discussing something you're super excited about -- they're still so boring that you contemplate killing yourself with papercuts.

But, here's something super random: I met a guy who went to Berkeley. I told him about Davis, and he mentioned that he had been out there and gone to a certain rural social event. It turns out that we were both band officers, him at Cal and me at Davis, and that two years ago I had given him and two other people a tour of out new bandroom! How funny is that? We had actually met before two years ago in Davis, and now we're going to South Africa. Further proof that the universe is smiling on my little adventure.

After meetings we got some dinner and wandered downtown philly for a few hours. It was really nice. There's so much history back east, just all over the place and the night was lovely, and there were fireflys! The east coast and southern people made fun of me, but hey -- fireflies!!

So far so good. Tomorrow: shots. Yay.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Becca I'm so proud of you for following your dream. I'll be following your journey, and please know, I'm always here if you need an ear-TessA...not to be confused with TessIA ;-)

Anonymous said...

Remember me? I'm your mom's friend Joan from her high school days...was at her "50th" summer party last year. What an incredible adventure you're on. I'll be following closely. Take care and be safe

Anonymous said...

Becca, hope all is well out there! Hope you dont get bit by anything....too hard.I hear the roaches are huge there! Take care I'm gonna write ya asap!

Mike said...

Becca,

I just came across your journal about your adventures in South Africa. I added a link to your page to a database I collected of Peace Corps Journals and blogs:

Worldwide PC Blog Directory:
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/

Features:
1. Contains over 1,600 journals and blogs from Peace Corps Volunteers serving around the world.
2. Official rules and regulations for current PCV online Journals and blogs. Those rules were acquired from Peace Corps Headquarters using the Freedom of Information Act.
3. The map for every country becomes interactive, via Google, once clicked on.
4. Contact information for every Peace Corps staff member worldwide.
5. Links to Graduate School Programs affiliated with Peace Corps, along with RPCVs Regional Associations.
6. And each country has its own detailed page, which is easily accessible with a possible slow Internet connection within the field.

There is also an e-mail link on every page. If you want to add a journal, spotted a dead link, or have a comment.

Thanks for volunteering with the Peace Corps!

-Mike Sheppard
RPCV / The Gambia (’03-’05)
http://www.PeaceCorpsJournals.com/