Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I plan on being tired

At the end of March, I am planning to run a half marathon.

Wait...sorry thats not right.  Let me fix that sentence.

At the end of March, I am planning to run walk an entirely downhill half marathon over the course of four hours.

Much more accurate.

The Longtom half marathon is something that Peace Corps South Africa has been doing for about five years now.  Its up in Sabie, which is beautiful, and I'm really excited that I'll be in this part of the world at the right time to participate.  Also about the idea of even attempting my first organized athletic...thingy that isn't yoga.

The other really great thing about the Longtom is that it is a fundraiser for the KLM organization, which was set up by some PCVs from SA11 (I was SA15.  I've just heard the un-holy rumor that they're now up to SA23.)  KLM pays a complete 5 year scholarship for one rural Mpumalanga student a year to attend a fantastic private secondary school.  Most of the kids are from the areas where my friends and I lived in Peace Corps, and it really is a life changing thing.  The Longtom organizers ask that everybody who participates fundraise at least $100.  So as you can see...I am now passing that information along to all 3 of you who read this.

Here is the information from this year's organizers:

Each year the Longtom Marathon Fundraiser provides two-thirds of the cost of the five year education for one learner at Uplands College. KLM relies heavily on the funds raised through the Longtom Marathon Fundraiser and needs the continuing support of PCVs to carry on their important work. Volunteers participating in the marathon are expected to fundraise a minimum of US$100 for the KLM foundation, but don't worry, that can be spread out over 4, 10 or even 20 donations.  Each $5 donation helps out! Although $100 is the minimum requirement we expect that many of you will go above and beyond that. To encourage you to do so, the Longtom Committee has also identified target fundraising goals which are:
·        $100 - base
·        $250 - bronze
·        $500 - silver
·        $750 - gold  

Here's how you can donate:

1.     Go to the KLM foundation website http://www.klm-foundation.org  
2.      Click on the Donate photo in the upper left corner.
3.      This opens up a secure https connection for people to donate.
4.      In the Longtom Marathon field put "Rebecca Fielding-Miller" so they know the donation was made in my name.  (In fact, feel free to put "Rebecca Fielding-Miller, MSPH")


$5 would be fantastic, $25 would be even better.  I never do this, but this is one of those times where I can honestly vouch for the organization.  I know this area, I know these kids, and I know that going to Uplands College really will change a kid's life.  Plus...13.1 miles.  Thats really far!  Even if it is all downhill.

www.klm-foundation.org

No comments: